Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Is it too late to quit?

Wow. So, no one told me there were mountains in California. But I'll get to that later....

We got a late start to the trip because FedEx sucks and didn't deliver my package to San Fran until 3 days late. What a wonderful start to the trip. Then the first road we travelled on was a giant hill. Bethany and I readjusted our expectations right quick. No amount of training could have prepared me for dragging 60 lbs of equipment behind me going up a steep hill. Ugh. Is it too late to quit? Not to mention I have been cursed with a hacking cough, and lost my voice on the second day. I sounded like a squeaky toy....but now I just sound like a 4-pack a day smoker. Poor Bethany, bless her heart, my cough keeps her up at night and gets her up early in the morning, but she hasn't complained a single bit.

Anyway, we stayed in a few motels the first week because I am still trying to kick this sickness, whatever it is. They range from Best Western to a little motel called the Mill House that looks and feels a lot like the motel from the horror movie "Vacancy". It was awesome, but I slept with a weapon close to the bed...no joke:).

We also stayed at a beautiful B&B in Fair Play California. It was up on a hill, and it overlooked the whole vineyard. The view was breathtaking, and even though it was cold, Bethany and I sat outside and watched the sun set over some far away mountains. Truth be told, I was ready to give up and stay there for a few weeks, but that wouldn't have made a very good story.

So far we have travelled through some beautiful wine country, some hilly back country, the UC Davis campus (cool!), and Old Sacramento (even cooler! Old buildings everywhere:)).

Lets get back to the mountains. Seriously, California? You have mountains? Why don't people talk about them? All I hear about is wine country, and I expected flat wine country roads the whole course to Nevada. The peak of the highest hill so far was 8,000 feet, which, okay, not too bad. Just don't forget that we're trailing 60 pounds with us. We certainly don't forget. This is just a prep for the higher mountains of Colorado. Either way, I'm pretty sure Beth and I wish for death at least 30 times a day, and we probably seriously mean it at least half of the time.

But for now, we're in a teeny tiny little town called Eureka, NV. The population is 670, and it feels smaller. But they have a library! God bless internet access. Tomorrow is a long haul 78 miles to the next town, with some serious hills in between. If you don't hear from us, send the search party there. I'm pretty sure that's where we'll be. Until next time!!!

2 comments:

  1. Erin, darling, I told you there were mountains in California...why oh why don't people believe me! Glad you liked UCD and Old Town Sac - my old stompin' grounds. :D -Sharon B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm, did you WATCH the 15 minute Yosemite video i sent you? Yes, that is in California. I'm sure you saw the mountains in that. Hope things are going well. How many miles are you averaging a day now? I saw you had your sights set on a 78 mile day. Good luck.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete