Thursday, August 13, 2009

Sweet Sweet Victory

We touched the Atlantic Ocean yesterday! It was actually more of a challenge than I expected....we had some trouble finding a road that would lead right to the water. For some reason I thought we would pull right off the main road and be able to ride right up to the beach. Well, not exactly. We rode about half a mile before we found a bridge that would take us to the beach. The anticipation was killer. Then the bikes wouldn't fit over the bridge, so I just took off my front tire so I could dip it in the ocean. I know, ridiculous. But it was very cathartic:)

Then we decided to treat ourselves to the dollar menu at McDonalds as a victory dinner. Unlimited fountain drinks! Hot fudge sundae with extra hot fudge! Totally unhealthy and delicious. Good times. You would be surprised how few McDonalds we have seen across the country.

Anyway, we are in St. Augustine for 2 days, but I doubt we will leave the hotel room. We're resting a little before the ride back down to Miami. We'll probably watch more television in one day than we have in the whole trip.

Also, I might never ride a bike again:)

For the next blog, I have a really awesome story about how we could have possibly been killed on a 178 acre plot of land. We REALLY have to stop accepting offers to stay at a stranger's house.... :)

7 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are recharging the batteries for a couple days before the final sprint to Miami. During the only time I was in St. Augustine (on business) I was impressed with its laid back atmosphere and the still lingering influence of the Spanish colonials in the town's architecture. No Miami with condo towers reaching to the sky. I'm looking forward to your next blog with the cautionary "beware of strangers" tale to come.

    Love, Uncle Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Cross country on a bike. Unbelievable! Intially I thought it was an impossible endeavor. I should have known my grand doughters don't give up easily. I mostly thank God for His protection over you! Be wise!!
    Love you both,
    Grum

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that the McDonalds was a welcoming sight for you all. It does have its positive side. Congrats on getting to touch the ocean. No matter how good the trip, there's no place like home--I think Dorothy also said something like that in The Wizard of Oz(!)
    Be safe! Love, Aunt Prissy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woooooohoooooooo!!!! Had to feel good to put your feet in the ocean. Lots of good tv to catch up on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You left us with a real cliff hanger! Your mom said thats what good writers do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! You girls sure are amazing! You have definitely lived up to my favorite quote!

    Strong women,
    May we know them,
    May we raise them,
    May we be them!!
    anonymous
    Love,
    Aunt Jan :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Girls, We are still following your adventures and are excited to read your blogs. Sounds like you are having some kind of a trip!
    Glad you guys liked Colorado, We love it here.
    Cant wait to see the pics you took throughout this crosscountry crazy adventure.
    Stay safe and get some rest!
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete