Sunday, July 26, 2009

Finally got a chance to add some pictures!

Our parents are visiting for a few days to carry our equipment (YAY!!!!!), and they brought a laptop and some cords...so we were able to figure out how to add some pictures to the blog. This is just a fraction, so hopefully some are enjoyable:). PS....we were biking in a pretty big rainstorm, and unfortunately, my phone was a casualty. So, just in case you have tried to contact me in the last week, I have not gotten it, and I can't respond just yet. FYI:)





How did this one little spot manage to stay dry? Seriously. The entire shirt is soaked, but this one little spot escaped? Something is weird....



Someone is sweaty and is NOT happy about it. Thank you, 100% humidity.



Was this photo staged? Yes. Is it still funny? I think so.



We rode to one of these places to spend the night. Which one do you think it was?


No walking? Across the Mississippi River? Whatever, if it was illegal, or it was recommended that we didn't do it....we probably did it.



I saved a turtle from the middle of the road! How did he thank me? Pee.



This way to Success!!! *Sigh* We went to Houston.



An impromptu stop to pet some horses. I wanted to ride one, but the barbed wire was a pretty good deterrent. Also, I have no idea how to ride a horse.



Horses!



Our riding buddies for a few days...Jessica and Joel. As you can tell, they were quite the fun couple.



Some sisters do normal things like going out to the movies....we prefer the extreme.



Keeping it positive (not trying to hitchhike)!



Empty Kansas road....too bad you can't get a picture of the headwind.



Phyllis and Bob! They put us up for a couple of days, and spoiled us rotten. We had a really hard time leaving:)



We take our whitewater rafting very seriously.



The Royal Gorge, Colorado. We hopped over a fence and went to the very edge of the rocks to get a better view. It was well worth it.



No, I am NOT a bad influence. Good times breaking the rules! Bethany did this all on her own. But if we didn't, we never would have been able to see the Royal Gorge.



Mmmmm, meat. Bethany is mad that I'm putting this picture on at all, so I can't say anything mean.



Tub laundry! We got really good at cleaning our clothes in less than optimal conditions:) Also, we were reeeeeaaaalllly dirty, and it was gross to see the water when we were done.


McDonalds? With only one arch? And a weird little guy saying "I'm Speedee!"? I guess this is some kind of rare sign, but it was creepy....mostly because I was sure that McDonalds couldn't afford to fix their sign, and that little guy was really scary-looking.


Telluride, Colorado....the most magical town on the planet:) We got a few good pictures on the gondola ride to the top of the pass.

Pie eating contest in Telluride! It was us against the kids:) Yummmmmmmmmy.


The giant Colorado sign welcomes us. And Bethany is very excited.


Lower Calf Creek Falls, Utah. We hiked back a few miles to see this waterfall (with Don, Nicole and Mitch...hi, guys!). As with everything, the pictures don't really do it justice...and it is a lot taller than it looks.


Lonely Utah road. This is where I came up with most of the random thoughts....why is it that no matter how far from civilization you may be, you can always find a discarded beer can/bottle? Nevada desert? Budweiser. Kansas plains? Natural Light. Kinda scary. Or weird.


Bryce Canyon, Utah. One of the most amazing places on the planet. We hiked a couple of miles around the rim to get as many different views as possible.


Bryce Canyon, Utah. If you look really hard, you can see me on the right hand side in black and purple. There are no railings or barriers of any kind, so a good wind could come along and blow us right in to the canyon. There are tons of great pictures, and most of them look like we're about ready to slide right down the side of the canyon walls...but those pictures are on my camera, and I don't have the adapter:)


I know you're jealous of my sweet outfit. The wind was blowing so hard that we had to put on several layers of clothing so we didn't freeze. I swear I'm not wearing a black unitard. And the sunglasses just kept out the grit...I don't really wear my sunglasses at night:) This picture is taken right outside of the place that we "broke into" in Minersville to sleep inside. As you can tell, there was good reason to try to find cover!


At 10,350 feet....Cedar Breaks in Utah. It was cold. And because I looked like a thug, no one bothered us.


If you look closely, you can see the rattlesnake that had curled up under my leg. He looks little there, but he's all coiled, and when I can upload video, you'll see him in all of his glory. I just got chills thinking about it again.

Just like the Sound of Music! Kirkwood, California, where Bethany just HAD to watch the Stanley Cup:) Go Penguins!

Survived the Loneliest Road in America! Barely.


Tree filled with shoes!! What a completely bizarre image. I definitely did a double-take, and of course we had to stop and take a picture.

Checking the map....standing in Nevada (left of the white line) and California (right of the white line)

This will be the last of the pictures for a while....the equipment goes home tomorrow:(

6 comments:

  1. a discarded beer can/bottle everywhere 'you' go.........hmmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww love the pic of my parents...I miss them too!! So jealous you got to see them, but so glad they took care of you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, so glad that you got a break for a day or so to meet up with your parents and take a break. Also, loved the pictures-especially the pie eating contest(!) Actually all the pictures are great and gave a good snapshot of what you all have been up to the past 6 weeks. Take care and I'm so glad that you are over half way home! Love, Aunt Prissy

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, I've lurked long enough. Your exploits and pictures prompted me to sign-up and comment. After reading of your travels so far I thought to myself that I can't think of too many of the "tough guys" that work in our building that would even dream about doing what you two have. You're on an adventure of a lifetime for many people, but from how you both seem to be handling it, this is only a beginning for you. The pics were great! First rate. You have free printing privileges when you get back. Keep up the great work.

    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  5. What amazing things you have seen. I am so glad you are letting us live vicariously through you....although liz really wants to pet the snake....and the bear if there was one.

    ReplyDelete