Thursday, July 2, 2009

Random thoughts...

We spend a lot of time on the bikes....between 6 and 8 hours, depending on the terrain. During this time, sooooo many things cross our minds. You can try to block out the random brain-thoughts with music, but there isn't a lot that can suppress an active brain on the open road. There isn't really a "story" in this blog, but I thought it would be fun to try to catalog as many of those random thoughts as possible, and list them. They really are....strange.

But before that, I'd like to give a giant shout-out to Don, Nicole and Mitch...a couple of our favorite people from this trip. They adopted us for the day! We all hiked back to a Lower Calf Creek Falls waterfall (and took some awesome and hilarious pictures). Then they went completely out of their way to take us to our hotel, and in the mean time, they bought our dinner! You guys were so much fun, and I'm glad we're still in touch!

Anyway, bring on the random thoughts, some related to cycling, some not:
  • Why, out of all the different parts of my body that are sore, do my THUMBS hurt the most?
  • How am I going to get rid of these ridiculous tan lines?
  • Why can I only remember half of the Quadratic Equation? My math teachers would be so disappointed.
  • Road kill or piece of tire? Road kill? Or tire? Road kill. No! Tire. Whew....tire. (this is a little game I like to play when you see something on the road in the distance and don't know what it is. It happens a LOT, and I'm getting better).
  • How are the soles of my shoes falling off? They're on the pedals of the bike 90% of the day. I'll have to use Dad's fix-it method...duct tape.
  • Ohhh, a penny!
  • Colorado smells nice.
  • "Free credit report dot com/Tell your friends, tell your dad, tell your mom/We've been singin' this song since we first showed up with our pirate hats on".....ugh, commercial jingles...
  • When I hear a vehicle behind us, I try to figure out what kind it is by how the engine sounds. I'm 100% on 18-wheelers so far. Everything else, not so much.
  • I think I would have made a good outlaw.
  • I wish I could figure out how to reset the time on my watch. That way I wouldn't have to subtract 2 hours every time I try to figure out what the time is.
  • Oh, man. My sunglass frames are broken. I'll have to use Dad's fix-it method...duct tape.
  • On ER, when Doug Ross finds out that Carol is pregnant with his twins, why doesn't he come back?
  • When will we see a town with more than 1,000 people?
  • Will I live long enough to witness Bethany actually eating a vegetable? On purpose?
  • It's probably not a wise decision to fly down a hill at 45 mph with only what essentially amounts to a tiny styrofoam cap on your head for protection.
  • I have to use the restroom. And we're 30 miles from anything in either direction. Help.
  • I wonder what passing motorists are thinking: "They are CRAZY", or "What a great idea. I might do that some day", or "50 points for the blonde one with the pigtails"?
  • Again, with the passing motorists. When they see us in the middle of nowhere, do they worry even a tiny bit about us? Why don't they offer water? Why don't they offer a ride? Not that we'd take it, I'm just saying. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE? So far the only ones to offer water are foreign. Figures. Americans are all "they're dumb, they deserve what they get".
  • Why do I harbor such fiery hatred for people in vehicles?
  • Why don't any of the motels have people working at the front desk?
  • When passing motorcyclists wave, are they mocking us?
  • Bethany's handlebars have some cuts in them. I'll have to use Dad's fix-it method....duct tape.
  • The "Welcome to Utah" and "Welcome to Colorado" signs are 50 yards apart. Sooooo, what is that land in between?
  • There are a ton of washers/bolts/nuts/nails on this road. Dad would have a field day.
  • Can I build a log cabin in Miami?
  • I wonder when the season premiere of Bones is scheduled.
  • Dear God, please don't let the 18-wheeler hit us. We're not that good at staying on the shoulder...
  • How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
  • Why is this map taking us into the middle of nowhere with roads that don't have a shoulder? Safe? NO.
  • Will I ever be able to pass through a tiny tiny town and not think of Texas Chainsaw Massacre?
  • That root beer did NOT settle well.
  • How can I work soooooo hard all day on the bike, and I'm still gaining weight?
  • On a related note, why don't my legs look any different?
  • Why, at the end of a perfectly good downhill, is there always an uphill?
  • Would those people mind if we asked to ride their horses?
  • Green is definitely my new favorite color.
  • I wonder which one of us is adopted. I would guess me. Bethany would agree. We can't possibly be related.
  • On an uphill: From 1 to 10, this rates a 14.35 on the "This is the Worst Idea Ever" scale.
  • On a downhill: Hey, this isn't so bad!
  • I smell burnt skin. Is that me?
  • I wonder what I did with my passport? I should find that when I get home.
  • Does hay have any nutritional value for humans? Might be good to know, just in case we get in some trouble one day.
  • Is Bethany more miserable now, or will she be more miserable when she has to sleep in my apartment with all of the cats?
  • Canyon is a weird word.

Here is what Bethany said she thinks about all day on the bike:

??

Anyway, we'll come back with a good story for the next blog, but this will have to hold until then. I'm sure we'll have some good stuff coming out of the Rockies!

And please comment! We looooooove reading the things you have to say, and it makes it more fun to write:)

17 comments:

  1. LOVE the canyon is a weird word!! Love love love it! Gald to see you all are doing well. I swear my parents have a sixth sense, everytime they ask me where you two are at voila! there's a blog entry that day (no kidding!) Pedal fast and fly down the rockies and you might make it to Pueblo for the 4th :D Keep enjoying your adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bones - Thursday Sept 17th! :) Erin, snakes are straight up scary! Way to be a champ with that one - your cats would be proud of your reflexes! They are doing well, and oh, I went over this past Saturday and did laundry there :) Thanks muchly! Glad you're doing well! I personally love your random thoughts - it's like you're here. Anything you want to know about the outside world that's going on? Let us know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Girls! Your random thoughts are great! Uncle Tom and I both got some chuckles. Keep up the good work. And by the way, I'm pretty sure that neither one of you was adopted. Take good care and stay safe!
    Love,
    Aunt Jan :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Girls,
    I think I may have an answer to one of your (crazy) random thoughts...
    A woodchuck would chuck all the wood that a woodchuck could if a woodchuck could chuck wood!! LOL
    Hope all is good and remember to call if you need anything.
    Your Colorado Friends!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dad says that since you let out the secret about duct tape, there will be a run on it with national shortages. We better stock up NOW!
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. More things to think about....Is it a pant leg or a pants leg?
    What do dogs think happens to the world when they get in an elevator..."I go into magic box, the doors close and then when they open its a new world"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Q:Why, out of all the different parts of my body that are sore, do my THUMBS hurt the most? A: Maybe you're putting more weight on your thumbs than you should, try straightening your back a little more when you ride / keeping your shoulders up higher (just a guess). If that makes you stretch too much for the handlebars, maybe adjust your seat a little more forward so you're closed to the handlebars.

    Q:How are the soles of my shoes falling off? A: What kind of shoes? Clip-ins? SPD or LOOK? Where are the soles falling off? I can't really guess anymore without more information =P.

    Q:Why do I harbor such fiery hatred for people in vehicles? A: You're probably jealous that their butts are comfortable and air-conditioned. Also, they get to listen to any variety of music they want with no effort.

    Q:How can I work soooooo hard all day on the bike, and I'm still gaining weight? A: Well, muscle weighs more than fat, and you and Bunz probably have about 10% body fat combined, so you'll probably just keep putting on more weight since there's no fat to lose, and only muscle to get more dense.

    Q:Why, at the end of a perfectly good downhill, is there always an uphill? A: If you wanted to break your theory, find a really long hill, stop mid-way through, camp, then you can wake up and be really excited you won't have to work for at least a little bit at the start of your day.

    Q:Would those people mind if we asked to ride their horses? A: As long as you refer to yourselves with Indian Names you make up on the spot (Wind-In-Her-Hair, Stands-With-A-Fist, stuff like that) they'll probably thank you for riding them.

    Q:Does hay have any nutritional value for humans? Might be good to know, just in case we get in some trouble one day. A: As far as I know, not really, I've inhaled a bunch accidentally while bailing hay on my grandparents farm and all it did for me was give me sinus infections / headaches. I am pretty sure humans can't break down plants for much energy....idk, have Kemp figure it out.

    Lastly, Bethany said she thinks about "??" all day? I'll just assume that is just secret code for my initials "SS" (which can be substituted for "??", IT"S SO CRAZY). Thanks for thinking about me all day Bunz; I'd give you a lollipop if I could.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey guys, glad you are in Colorado where there's a lot more green trees and fresh air. Lots of good thinking time while you are riding. That's a good observation about only foreign people stop and offer help to you. I guess we have been taught that if we stop and help someone, they would injure/steal/murder us, so therefore, we don't stop. Also, other countries are more accustomed to seeing people bike riding or hitch hiking than we are.
    Continue to have fun and keep the stories coming!

    Love,
    Aunt Prissy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have random thoughts too. They can be translated similar to Bethany's: ?$@#*?
    Magen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ever wonder how totally awesome it would be to hear a car approaching, then hear "WILSON!" and then look to see it's the PAL van with all of us piled in it? But then there's no room for you...so we'd just kinda encourage you from the van while you struggled uphill, but you were kinda cool with that because we have a flat tire and hot air coming out of the A/C.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Independence Day! I hope an American at least hands you a sparkler...or a little flag. Have I mentioned you two are totally awesome?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can't wait to hear more!!
    Love,
    Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  13. I bet your wondering if it rains everyday in Colorado. This is not the normal around here. I think its because you guys need more hurdles. LOL Peddle safe girls. Bethany ?? thoughts 6-8 hrs a day are. I can't believe I let Erin talk me into this and I should have listened to my parents. LOL I think your both crazy, but I do admire your ambition.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Erin & Bethany,

    Glad to hear you two are doing well. Got a BIG kick out of the random thoughts! Hilarious! Keep 'em coming. :) Be safe out there!

    xoxo
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  15. WHY DIDN'T YOU PUT SNAKEY IN YOUR LITTLE TRAILER AND BRING HIM TO ME?!?!?!?!?!? Seriously, you could have even gotten a little bumper sticker that reads "Rattler on Board"....

    Oh well.....love and miss you anyway!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. PS - I TOTALLY do the "road-kill-or-tire?" thing all the time in the car!!!

    Though i'm sure it's completely different when you have to pass "it" without a glass and metal barrier between you and whatever "it" turns out to be. Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am such a nerd, but what made you think of the quadratic equation?

    ReplyDelete